Funding AT​

Funding options to help pay for Assistive Technology you want or need varies based on each person’s individual situation, the type and purpose of device, and programs that may be available to the person. Below are some resources that may be helpful to explore including grants, state and local agencies and programs. You can also take a look at our own Assistive Technology Loan Program.

AT Funding Options

Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind – serves to all Connecticut residents who are legally blind or have significant visual impairments. Learn more about their Services on the BESB website. 

Medical Equipment – such as wheelchairs, prosthetic devices, Augmentative Alternative Communication (AAC) devices and more are typically covered at least in part, by private health or disability insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. Insurance should be explored for any device that is medically necessary.

Dept of Developmental Disabilities (DDS) – May provide Assistive Technology for DDS consumers. Speak to the DDS case manager or visit the DDS website.

Dept of Social Services Waiver Programs – CT has several Medicaid Waiver Programs where Assistive Technology may be provided as part of the individual’s overall budget. CT Waivers include: Personal Care Assistance (PCA), Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), Community First Choice (CFC) and more.  Speak to the Care Manager or visit My Place CT to learn more.

Bureau of Rehabilitation Services – may pay for Assistive Technology devices that are required for employment for eligible consumers who are pursuing or trying to maintain employment. Visit to learn more

Employers – may pay for Assistive Technology if they are considered a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of your job. You can request accommodations through your Human Resources department, and for additional guidance visit the Job Accommodation Network.

Students in Special Education (K-12) – school districts can pay for Assistive Technology if it is required for a student receiving special education to access their curriculum. AT evaluations and devices should be requested during Planning and Placement Team (PPT) meetings so it may be added to their Individualized Education Program (IEP). To learn more about the IEP process and services that can be provided to students with disabilities, visit the Dept of Education, Bureau of Special Education website.

Other potential resources may include:

Centers for Independent Living (CILs) – CILs empower persons with disabilities to take control of their lives and guide their own destinies. CILs serve persons with all types of disabilities in all age groups, from children to seniors. Learn more about the CT CILs at the CT State Independent Living Council website.

Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) – Area Agencies on Aging are private, nonprofit planning agencies who provide a variety of services to individuals 60 and older in our state. Learn more on the AAA website

CT Charitable Trust – The PLAN of CT Charitable Trust is a fund which allows individuals of any age who have a disability to apply for one-time needs-based assistance through a grant to purchase a service or resource meant to enhance the individual’s quality of life. Applications for AT devices can be submitted.

For a comprehensive listing of Assistive Technology funding resources, view the ATIA Funding Guide. You can always reach out to the CT Tech Act Project directly for guidance on where to find or  how to fund AT devices and services.